Infotainment System Restarting endlessly

3 hours ago, italiastar said:

The salesperson was adamant that in 7 months at Skoda, and it looks previously at Seat, had never come across problems with the infotainment system, saying "you only hear about bad experiences on the Internet, not good ones"

He got the quote right, that's about it. I wonder what he's been up to during his 7 months at Skoda, if he never heard about rebooting infotainments, network modules crashing (POP POP), steering wheel software issues... The list goes on. Many things already fixed or being fixed right now, but clearly he's either lying or trying to cover up 😂

• Like 1

On 21/12/2023 at 10:46, Matt54 said:

Hi

I posted here back in November. I was out in France and my infotainment started playing up the day after we arrived, it had worked perfectly all the way down France. Once we got back to the uk it behaved itself. I’m now back in France and exactly the same thing has happened on the day after we arrived at exactly the same spot on the same road. The coincidence of this makes me think this is something to do with location. The screen will not stop on now but boots up then after a minute it goes off, then reboots and keeps cycling like this until it eventually goes off altogether. 
this has got to be something to do with location……and software. 
any suggestions?

Luckily I've had few infotainment restarts in my Mar 2023 Octavia. But I've noticed 3 restarts at the same place during recent travel....but only in 1 direction when Android Auto is wireless on return journey. Outbound, phone is connected via USB.

Edited by mday

On 21/12/2023 at 10:46, Matt54 said:

Hi

I posted here back in November. I was out in France and my infotainment started playing up the day after we arrived, it had worked perfectly all the way down France. Once we got back to the uk it behaved itself. I’m now back in France and exactly the same thing has happened on the day after we arrived at exactly the same spot on the same road. The coincidence of this makes me think this is something to do with location. The screen will not stop on now but boots up then after a minute it goes off, then reboots and keeps cycling like this until it eventually goes off altogether. 
this has got to be something to do with location……and software. 
any suggestions?

I'm afraid I can't offer any help but it reminds me of the 1987 Circuit of Ireland rally and the Prodrive/Rothmans M3 rally cars. Both stopped within sight of each other with electrical/ECU issues mid stage. After some investigation, turns out there was a British army base nearby and something in the base fecked up the cars electronics.

On 15/12/2023 at 18:21, xhala said:

Thanks for all the precious help.

1941 downloaded, unzipped and placed on ssd drive

Just plugged it and checked that the update function in the maintenance mode saw it on the drive, which is the case.

Just need to put a battery charger and  press update

But I'll do it after the ski vacation.
It's surely not the time to brick the car with the holiday starting next Friday 

But damn, being a geek, it's hard not to do it right away 😆

Ok, back from ski vacation this evening => update done without any issue.

Still, I put a battery charger on, just to be on the safe side.

Took a while, there were a bunch of languages to update too.

I've finally been able to register as primary user and to Skoda connect, to see that the services were past due since 13/01/2022 🤣

Sure now  I'm gonna pay for something that should have worked since day one... (nice try Skoda 🙄)

Car seems to be applying an OTA update.
Should I see something different than 1941 once it's finished?

or maybe just some minor update without versioning?

Thanks a lot for all the help.
I hope I'll finally enjoy the no more crappy infotainment... 

• Like 1

On 29/12/2023 at 14:00, italiastar said:

Can someone please confirm that the 1941 update is not an OTA update please, stealer insists its OTA and car needs to be connected to home Wi-Fi (assuming your in range) or hotspot from mobile phone. Also said engine needs to be kept running during update - how long would a 9gb OTA update take ??

When I asked them why can't they do it, the response was - their wifi is secure and won't allow cars to connect ???

My dealership almost knew I was going to mention the dodgy infotainment system and software update before I did. They did the upgrade (under warranty) while it was in for a service. I'd suggest either pushing them or finding a better dealer.

With so much software built into cars now, saying things like 'our wifi is secure' is bordering on incompetence.

• Like 1

Just back from dealer (getting oil change & inspection under warranty) and had mentioned the SW issue. Apparently, they updated the SW for me (funny as still shows same version) and I managed to get a whole 500m away before the 1/3 of the screen showing my podcast player went blank !! Then a reboot 10 mins later.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maxi24 said:

Just back from dealer (getting oil change & inspection under warranty) and had mentioned the SW issue. Apparently, they updated the SW for me (funny as still shows same version) and I managed to get a whole 500m away before the 1/3 of the screen showing my podcast player went blank !! Then a reboot 10 mins later.

I really cant believe the apparent incompetence of Main Stealers who charge top dollar for knowing nothing. Of course a software upgrade should show in the version number - wait until you go back and get the same excuses a we did "Oh, someone must have moved the car before it completed" "We can only install software if the car asks for it" "The software update was released after you picked up the car from us"

I have to say, I might be lucky but I've not got any of this rubbish from my wife's Mini.

Apologies for the hijack; is there a summary thread pinned anywhere with issues with the 20-21 models? I’m thinking of buying an SEL First Edition as they are very good value now, but would like to be well prepared at the dealers. I’ve updated software before on VAG cars so I can manage that if I have to, and I also have WiFi coverage on my drive so that’s not a big deal either. But I am concerned if there is any hardware that needs changing…

You're going to have to ask about it, I think. If it's a low firmware number then you may want to get the dealer (if you're buying from a dealer) to upgrade the hardware and firmware as part of the purchase deal.

40 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

You're going to have to ask about it, I think. If it's a low firmware number then you may want to get the dealer (if you're buying from a dealer) to upgrade the hardware and firmware as part of the purchase deal.

That's fair - the software versions are quite clear that I want it running 1941. Hardware versions I haven't seen detailed anywhere specifically although I've skimmed through most of the 46 pages on here; is there a repository for this?

1 hour ago, Oli3000 said:

That's fair - the software versions are quite clear that I want it running 1941. Hardware versions I haven't seen detailed anywhere specifically although I've skimmed through most of the 46 pages on here; is there a repository for this?

I purchased SEL FIrst Edition in October 2023.  Initially had lots of issues with Infotainment system and SOS module.  Got a Dealership to update to software version 1941 and also update the SOS module firmware and, since then, it’s all been good.  

The trouble is, I believe, these modern cars have multiple  ECU’s for different functionality that all have their own firmware.   It’s not always just a simple software update of the Infotainment system that is required but also relevant firmware updates of individual ECU’s which I think only the dealers can do and then only if you are having specific issues with that function.  Flip side is hardware replacement is not always necessary (they also won”t replace hardware without you actually having an issue and even then they would initially see if a firmware update solves problem),

My advice, make absolutely sure that any Skoda you purchase is updated to Infotainment software version 1941prior to purchase.  Check the warranty that comes with the car includes software - whilst my Škoda came with Škoda Approved Used Car warranty the updates I got done were done under the original 3 Year manufacturer warranty.  If you do have to deal with Dealership be as clued up as you can be - I 

went with comprehensive list of issues, a printout of what I believed was the relevant TSI document Skoda had issued and my expectations of what work I required doing.

Saying all this it’s a great car, nice to get the extras that they bundled with the First Edition (I also got leather seats) and am overall very pleased with the purchase.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

9 hours ago, spcdust said:

I purchased SEL FIrst Edition in October 2023.  Initially had lots of issues with Infotainment system and SOS module.  Got a Dealership to update to software version 1941 and also update the SOS module firmware and, since then, it’s all been good.  

The trouble is, I believe, these modern cars have multiple  ECU’s for different functionality that all have their own firmware.   It’s not always just a simple software update of the Infotainment system that is required but also relevant firmware updates of individual ECU’s which I think only the dealers can do and then only if you are having specific issues with that function.  Flip side is hardware replacement is not always necessary (they also won”t replace hardware without you actually having an issue and even then they would initially see if a firmware update solves problem),

My advice, make absolutely sure that any Skoda you purchase is updated to Infotainment software version 1941prior to purchase.  Check the warranty that comes with the car includes software - whilst my Škoda came with Škoda Approved Used Car warranty the updates I got done were done under the original 3 Year manufacturer warranty.  If you do have to deal with Dealership be as clued up as you can be - I 

went with comprehensive list of issues, a printout of what I believed was the relevant TSI document Skoda had issued and my expectations of what work I required doing.

Saying all this it’s a great car, nice to get the extras that they bundled with the First Edition (I also got leather seats) and am overall very pleased with the purchase.

Thank you!

I had seen a few of your topics and the journey you have been through! Certainly sounds like it can all be sorted, but don’t really want to have to deal with recurrent issues if I can! I note that both approved used and the “all-in” warranty both don’t cover software/electrical system updates so will have to be prepared to argue my case if there was an issue. Equally I can always return it within the first 30 days if there are issues I suppose (or at least threaten to). 

Have the TPI documents been uploaded on the forum somewhere?

TSI document should read TPI document.

By way of an example I have attached the one I printed and took into the Dealership to resolve the software issues whIch found on this forum.  I think it was useful device to get them to do the necessary work.  Maybe you could arm yourself with this at the point of purchasing your vehicle?

It's worth noting that Skoda Approved Used Cars are meant to come with all software updated (mine didn't) - they will probably fob you off with "it can only be done OTA" - it's rubbish, they can apply it in the workshop.  At the same time you could get them to also check and update the SOS modules firmware as that seems to be a widespread issue on the earlier models?  Like I said, no new hardware was required on mine just the module firmware being updated (I have a 70 plate registered January 2021).

TPI_2065556-10.png.5d4f06e59cfc0299d190c193b46a2866.pdf

Edited by spcdust
  • Love it! 1

36 minutes ago, spcdust said:

TSI document should read TPI document.

By way of an example I have attached the one I printed and took into the Dealership to resolve the software issues whIch found on this forum.  I think it was useful device to get them to do the necessary work.  Maybe you could arm yourself with this at the point of purchasing your vehicle?

It's worth noting that Skoda Approved Used Cars are meant to come with all software updated (mine didn't) - they will probably fob you off with "it can only be done OTA" - it's rubbish, they can apply it in the workshop.  At the same time you could get them to also check and update the SOS modules firmware as that seems to be a widespread issue on the earlier models?  Like I said, no new hardware was required on mine just the module firmware being updated (I have a 70 plate registered January 2021).

TPI_2065556-10.png.5d4f06e59cfc0299d190c193b46a2866.pdf 893.85 kB · 0 downloads

Top advice! If they want my money (in a slowing car market) I expect them to play ball!

I think it will also come with the caveat of if it doesn’t work I will be returning it so at least they’re primed…

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Oli3000 said:

Top advice! If they want my money (in a slowing car market) I expect them to play ball!

I think it will also come with the caveat of if it doesn’t work I will be returning it so at least they’re primed…

It all sounds a bit much but don't be put off as they are great cars and, it would seem, Skoda have finally now got on top of the issues via stable software updates so you and I benefit from that (think of the poor owners that endured 18 months / two years of problems).  Once the software was sorted on mine, and I was fortunate that it only took a single visit, then it's all been good.  You are doing the correct thing by going armed with knowledge and the reality is a Dealership updating the Infotainment version 1941 and possibly checking the SOS module is not that big a deal for them to secure a sale.  The sales guy will inevitably plead ignorance to any issues and say it's not widespread but that's sales people for you.

I also see you are London based?  My local Skoda Dealership (not the selling Dealership) is Trans City in Walthamstow E17 who seemed pretty good based on my visit.

Edited by spcdust
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Oli3000 said:

Apologies for the hijack; is there a summary thread pinned anywhere with issues with the 20-21 models? I’m thinking of buying an SEL First Edition as they are very good value now, but would like to be well prepared at the dealers. I’ve updated software before on VAG cars so I can manage that if I have to, and I also have WiFi coverage on my drive so that’s not a big deal either. But I am concerned if there is any hardware that needs changing…

I've just created a topic which gives a summary of the issues, to the best of my knowledge, which affect my, and other, early build SE L First `editions.

Edited by SteveTheElder
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1

12 minutes ago, SteveTheElder said:

I've just created a topic which gives a summary of the issues, to the best of my knowledge, which affect my, and other, early build SE L First `editions.

Amazing - you've just armed me with a quick list of things to look out for when viewing which is ideal! Thank you

1 hour ago, spcdust said:

It all sounds a bit much but don't be put off as they are great cars and, it would seem, Skoda have finally now got on top of the issues via stable software updates so you and I benefit from that (think of the poor owners that endured 18 months / two years of problems).  Once the software was sorted on mine, and I was fortunate that it only took a single visit, then it's all been good.  You are doing the correct thing by going armed with knowledge and the reality is a Dealership updating the Infotainment version 1941 and possibly checking the SOS module is not that big a deal for them to secure a sale.  The sales guy will inevitably plead ignorance to any issues and say it's not widespread but that's sales people for you.

I also see you are London based?  My local Skoda Dealership (not the selling Dealership) is Trans City in Walthamstow E17 who seemed pretty good based on my visit.

That's a bit out of date - updated now. But I will consider the recommendation!

My Fabia has just had its MMI replaced (under all-in warranty) after vertical lines appeared on the screen. The experience with Platinum Skoda in Bath has been absolutely awful (fault reported in September, replaced yesterday), particularly when I've had warranty work done by Heritage Skoda/SEAT in Bristol for the Leon which was dead easy (faulty LED headlight unit and a keyless-GO key fob that failed). They were just totally disinterested in Bath. So this is another reason why I want to be armed and ready as it seems likely I will have to buy from somewhere that isn't local based on what stock is around!

On 29/12/2023 at 22:01, mday said:

Luckily I've had few infotainment restarts in my Mar 2023 Octavia. But I've noticed 3 restarts at the same place during recent travel....but only in 1 direction when Android Auto is wireless on return journey. Outbound, phone is connected via USB.

I’m now back in the UK and within half hour of leaving the tunnel everything started to work correctly. Only had one infotainment system crash a couple of days ago but it rebooted itself straight away. The car is going in to the dealer next week, let’s see what they say. There must be lots of error codes in there. 

Edited by Matt54

Does anybody have issues with second phone keeps disconnecting bluetooth arround every 10minutes?

It started with 1941 update. 

• Like 1

3 years ago dealer service guy told me to have have only a single phone registered at any one time time to avoid problems. I was disappointed as this disadvantages a second etc  user’s account. But I’ve stuck with it as it was one of the few  issues I could control among the several I couldn’t back then. Don’t know if it is now unnecessary following SW1941.

Edited by PoloPaul
Entered ‘many’ instead of ‘few’ which was misleading

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I got Octavia Iv phev 2021

I owned its 2months now,i checked software version and its was 1803.

So new updates coming over the air or not?

Sometimes canton sound disapears.

Im main user,others settings is allowed and i got that myskoda registered.

I live on Finland

17 minutes ago, tonzu said:

Hi

I got Octavia Iv phev 2021

I owned its 2months now,i checked software version and its was 1803.

So new updates coming over the air or not?

Sometimes canton sound disapears.

Im main user,others settings is allowed and i got that myskoda registered.

I live on Finland

Mine was upgraded from something like 1803 to 1941 back in September 2023. I have a strong feeling that SW1941 had to be done by a Dealer Service Department. However since SW1491 last year I now receive smaller OTA updates regularly.

As a matter of interest. My Octavia had 1896 Software and Display Unit Software 2088. It went into the main dealer for investigation about the infotainment system crashes 10 days ago. They reported that they had ‘carried out a software update’. But the System Information still shows 1896 and 2088. How can this be? I’m going to call them tomorrow. They also said ‘customer to monitor’. Well I’ve monitored for a week now and it still crashes! Not as often as it does when abroad but it’s still indicates there’s a problem. 
What software version are other people on now? Have you had an update? Has anyone seen a cure to the problem?

Matt