What have you done to your Superb III today?

5 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

👍. Got 20 x black ones coming from Amazon today. £8.99. 

718csp0spfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Just got some similar ones from ebay for our Kodiaq that include covers for the locking wheel nuts - about half the price.

5 hours ago, MICKSVRS said:

Nice one. The ones from Wish,  from memory were lest than a quarter of that price but probably took at least ten times as long to arrive lol. 

True. Ali Express, Wish & others have mega delivery times. Even some items on Amazon are 4-5 weeks so I check before ordering. A while ago I ordered some mud flaps on Ali. They took so long to arrive I had forgotten I ordered them! On the plus side they were a 3rd of the price of OEM's & fitted well. 

That said I like to make use of my Prime membership on Amazon where I can.  

5 minutes ago, plantpowered said:

@Colin170CRI need to order some too. It's the 17mm variant we need, right? Let us know how the Amazon ones are and if they fit OK.

Will do.

Yes I believe it is the 17mm ones we need. 

Mine are due sometime today - probably later this evening. 

I'll test fit & let you know.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

Just got some similar ones from ebay for our Kodiaq that include covers for the locking wheel nuts - about half the price.

Yep there are cheaper ones out there & on Amazon as well. I don't do Ebay so I never look on it & having been bitten more than once in the past I try to steer clear of the "too good to be true" items. I'll see what the Amazon ones are like but at least I can return them if needed.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Will do.

Yes I believe it is the 17mm ones we need. 

Mine are due sometime today - probably later this evening. 

I'll test fit & let you know.

They have arrived! 

Yes they fit. Bit fiddly but they do go on. Only snag is that they didn't come with a larger 24mm circular caps for the locking wheel nuts.  I should have checked that before ordering but hey ho.  @skomaz  Ebay ones might be a better bet is he has a link.

Meanwhile I'll now be looking for 4 x 24mm locking wheel nut caps ☹️  

22 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

They have arrived! 

Yes they fit. Bit fiddly but they do go on. Only snag is that they didn't come with a larger 24mm circular caps for the locking wheel nuts.  I should have checked that before ordering but hey ho.  @skomaz  Ebay ones might be a better bet is he has a link.

Meanwhile I'll now be looking for 4 x 24mm locking wheel nut caps ☹️  

Mine arrived too.  They look OK (gloss black) and seem pretty much identical to the OE ones without the VW part number.  Initial fitting was a bit of a fiddle as they were clearly tighter than the OE ones but I've just been for a drive and then taken them off and put them on again and they seem fine now - no harder or easier than the OE ones to remove or fit.  The removal tool is rubbish though and broke after about the third use, but the OE one is fine and works with them no problem.

Link below (they have a variety of colours but some don't get very good reviews - so purchase at your own risk).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324729657498 - "Audi Wheel Nut Covers Gloss Black For A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6 A8 Q5 Q7 TT 20x17mm" from Partsulike

On 16/04/2022 at 14:44, ApertureS said:

Neaten up all the other retrofits and install rear seat heating and 3 zone climate control.

Did you ever install the remote rear set release, or have I missed the update?

1 hour ago, coppertop said:

Did you ever install the remote rear set release, or have I missed the update?

all installed and working correctly. Ill post an update with finds and pictures and what was used in the next 48 hours!

So as requested by @coppertop heres an update to the rear remote seat release - this was done on an estate and there are slight variants in part numbers depending on model shape and trim colour.

So the simple method would be to just buy a rear bench with the feature already installed but not many superbs being broken and fewer with this feature means its fairly uncommon.

Everything works perfectly but there is 2 snags!

- You have to cut your fabric to allow the brackets to fit!

- There are 2 part numbers for the main metal frames - each cost £450, the difference between them is unclear physically but parts show 1 is remote release, 1 is standard. Now the job is complete I can tell you the difference, the remote release ones have a sprung loaded bushing on the outside edge, this is to force the seats flat once the lever is pulled - Im not paying £900 for 2 seat backs and you cant buy just the bushing seperately. I dont have a remote bushing so cant tell you how it works but im guessing just a coil spring and some plastic. Im hoping to work out a DIY solution in the future. 

Now regarding parts, there are only 4 bits required.

- Lever for each side - etka shows cables are seperate but take note - THEY ARE INTEGRAL and buying the lever will come with cables too.

- Cable and connector for each side - this part clips into the latch on each seat and has a 30cm cable and a plastic bracket that clips into the seat. the lever cable clips into this

- A black plastic cover that goes over the cable connector and guides the cable out the bottom of the seat.

- hog ring/C clips for when the seat is stripped down

Parts arent crazy money and cost about £100 all in. Im not gonna do be doing a write up for this one as its fairly self explanatory and just involves youtube and learning to reupholster a seat cushion and how to fit hog ring clips, and how to strip the cover off the seat. Below are some pictures for guides :D

IMG_3946.JPEGIMG_3914.JPEGIMG_3915.JPEGIMG_3920.JPEGIMG_3921.JPEGIMG_3922.JPEGIMG_3923.JPEGIMG_3944.JPEGIMG_3945.JPEG

IMG_3916.JPEG

Edited by ApertureS
  • Like 1

Been sat in my drawer for a couple of weeks. Now I've fitted them, I'm not sure I like them. It's still quicker to flick the gear selector in manual than fumble for the lever, and they get in the way sometimes. I've even managed to catch my knee on one getting out if the car in a hurry.

20220603_172558_HDR.jpg

On 02/06/2022 at 14:31, ApertureS said:

So as requested by @coppertop heres an update to the rear remote seat release - this was done on an estate and there are slight variants in part numbers depending on model shape and trim colour.

So the simple method would be to just buy a rear bench with the feature already installed but not many superbs being broken and fewer with this feature means its fairly uncommon.

Everything works perfectly but there is 2 snags!

- You have to cut your fabric to allow the brackets to fit!

- There are 2 part numbers for the main metal frames - each cost £450, the difference between them is unclear physically but parts show 1 is remote release, 1 is standard. Now the job is complete I can tell you the difference, the remote release ones have a sprung loaded bushing on the outside edge, this is to force the seats flat once the lever is pulled - Im not paying £900 for 2 seat backs and you cant buy just the bushing seperately. I dont have a remote bushing so cant tell you how it works but im guessing just a coil spring and some plastic. Im hoping to work out a DIY solution in the future. 

Now regarding parts, there are only 4 bits required.

- Lever for each side - etka shows cables are seperate but take note - THEY ARE INTEGRAL and buying the lever will come with cables too.

- Cable and connector for each side - this part clips into the latch on each seat and has a 30cm cable and a plastic bracket that clips into the seat. the lever cable clips into this

- A black plastic cover that goes over the cable connector and guides the cable out the bottom of the seat.

- hog ring/C clips for when the seat is stripped down

Parts arent crazy money and cost about £100 all in. Im not gonna do be doing a write up for this one as its fairly self explanatory and just involves youtube and learning to reupholster a seat cushion and how to fit hog ring clips, and how to strip the cover off the seat. Below are some pictures for guides :D

IMG_3946.JPEGIMG_3914.JPEGIMG_3915.JPEGIMG_3920.JPEGIMG_3921.JPEGIMG_3922.JPEGIMG_3923.JPEGIMG_3944.JPEGIMG_3945.JPEG

IMG_3916.JPEG

Good project.

I have a 2016 L&K estate which has this fitted as standard as part of the L&K spec at that time. 

When did they stop fitting this as standard & / or make it an option to what car spec? 

It seems to me like it should be a standard fit item on an estate car or large hatch & certainly for the higher spec models.

3 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

Good project.

I have a 2016 L&K estate which has this fitted as standard as part of the L&K spec at that time. 

When did they stop fitting this as standard & / or make it an option to what car spec? 

It seems to me like it should be a standard fit item on an estate car or large hatch & certainly for the higher spec models.

No idea but they arent all that common among any year, it would be nice if it was a standard fit item :) 

On 30/05/2022 at 16:00, Hdsn555 said:

I'm a fan, I've noticed my 19" alloys are doing the same. They were in great condition when I got the car last April, but a year on and they're started to deteriorate. I'm almost convinced the company I bought the car from had had the wheels refurbished, as I can't see how between Sept '17 & April '21 they remained pristine, and then a year of me owning them they've gone bad. I noticed mid last year, when cleaning, I could see what looked like clear coat peeling off from some of the cut edges.

If you don't mind me asking, was it expensive to get them done?

Problem is, there is refurbishing, and then there is proper refurbishing. Most are just 'smart' repairs, quick sandpaper, repaint and clear coat. 6 months later (12 if you're lucky) you start noticing bubbling of the paint. Proper refurbishment involves acid bath, shot blasting, repairs, powder coating, clear coat etc, which is what companies like Rimtec and Amazing Alloys in Telford do. In effect they come back to factory finish.

I also have the 19" Trinity's and by coincidence all 4 are at Amazing Alloys at the moment with my L&K looking pretty sad for itself on my drive on axle stands 😭 I decided not to have them diamond cut again because of dreaded 'white worm' so have gone for full Anthracite, total cost was £ 320 inc vat.

I also got genuine bolt covers and centre caps from here: https://www.skoda-parts.com/online-store.html

covers were 16 normal and 4 locking for 7.06 eur total and centre caps 6.70 eur total. Took 4 days from CZ! When they arrived realised didn't have the cap 'puller' but found cars toolkit already had one included, think of everything them nice Skoda people 👍

• Like 1

On 04/06/2022 at 08:30, stever750 said:

Been sat in my drawer for a couple of weeks. Now I've fitted them, I'm not sure I like them. It's still quicker to flick the gear selector in manual than fumble for the lever, and they get in the way sometimes. I've even managed to catch my knee on one getting out if the car in a hurry.

so ur saying it is quicker for u to move ur off arm off the steering wheel and on to the gear selector, then shift up/down.......than it is with shifting with the paddle-shifter at ur finger tips?!?!?

phwoahhh

regarding catching the knee, yes, it can happen, however i always leave my car with the wheels straight, hence shifters r at 9 and 3 positions.  won't have any issues then getting in/out of the car. 

Finally got around to running the jb4 cable from the obd port through the firewall. 

And I bought a whiteline Golf R rear sway bar during the week from a Golf owner.

And I got a delivery from the US for some calipers.

So I have a few months of jobs.

2 hours ago, JR RS said:

so ur saying it is quicker for u to move ur off arm off the steering wheel and on to the gear selector, then shift up/down.......than it is with shifting with the paddle-shifter at ur finger tips?!?!?

phwoahhh

regarding catching the knee, yes, it can happen, however i always leave my car with the wheels straight, hence shifters r at 9 and 3 positions.  won't have any issues then getting in/out of the car. 

I'm used to driving a manual box, so having my left hand ready to change comes naturally. I didn't find an immediate improvement after fitting the extensions, maybe that will change with practice, but they're not game changing for me so far anyway. 

I park on a hill, facing downhill, and always turn wheels into face the kerb, so my steering wheel is never straight ahead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stever750 said:

I'm used to driving a manual box, so having my left hand ready to change comes naturally. I didn't find an immediate improvement after fitting the extensions, maybe that will change with practice, but they're not game changing for me so far anyway. 

I park on a hill, facing downhill, and always turn wheels into face the kerb, so my steering wheel is never straight ahead. 

Ah fair enough. 👍

I like using the paddles every now n then, however I find myself always having to reach for the stock paddles with my short fingers.

The paddle extensions however makes the task much much easier for me. :)

Today (or rather, sometime last week, really) I managed to scratch the f**** out of my superb :crying:. Went to a car wash to just give it a pressure rinse (lots of Sahara dust in Portugal lately...) and, since it was sunny, I stupidly decided to use an old microfiber cloth I had in the car to just wipe off excess water (water is very hard and would leave stains). Well, the cloth must had been in poor condition since now, under direct sun, I can see the WHOLE car full of superficial scratches... So annoyed... I will have to give it a full body polish, but will try to do it by hand, as both exercise and punishment for my stupidity...

On a separate note, following on the damages inflicted on all my 4 rims by some idiot at Norauto during a tire swap, I now must procure myself new rims while waiting for the court claim I made against them, since one of the rims is also bent... It started doing some "wooshing" noise at over 40 km/h after the second so-called "repair" (which was just slappin paint over paint over paint and looks total crap) and the dealership found a bent rim exactly where it seemed like the noise was coming from (rear left). How they managed this is beyond me, but on purpose comes to mind :@. Any rim brands to avoid? Any particular models you've seen and like in the superb? I'm not paying over 1300€ for original 16" Orion, not knowing the result of my court claim. Plus, I don't fancy them much anyway... Also, I want to keep my tires (almost new) and the comfort that comes with smaller rims/thicker tires, so 16" it is. Found a few that I like, but not sure they will look good in real life: MAK Wolf, MAK Emblema, CMS C22 (silver or anthracite?). 

Cheers

Edited by pcspinheiro
  • Sad 1
  • Crying 1
  • Groan 1

If this helps (can't find the car in business grey). Also, mine are 16" and depicted are probably 18" or 19". I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I'm torn. The last ones are significantly cheaper, whether in silver or anthracite. 

image.png.d848da8c2fa3de32eb96998c23044805.png

image.png.6743299a96dd60acf661cdf01cc8b94c.png

image.png.7d6428f9c6f7da4835c6761788e9eb41.png

Edited by pcspinheiro

2 hours ago, pcspinheiro said:

If this helps (can't find the car in business grey). Also, mine are 16" and depicted are probably 18" or 19". I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I'm torn. The last ones are significantly cheaper, whether in silver or anthracite. 

image.png.d848da8c2fa3de32eb96998c23044805.png

image.png.6743299a96dd60acf661cdf01cc8b94c.png

image.png.7d6428f9c6f7da4835c6761788e9eb41.png

I've got these on mine at the moment - I'll be moving them on soon, possibly, maybe..... If my tyre guy ever gets back to me with prices for the other alloys I'm putting on 😥

IMG20220411191536.jpg

• Like 1

Those look cool, what's the make and model? FYI, I found this french site that has a large selection of rims but, most importantly, allows you to see how they look in different sizes in a realistic view. It's velonity.fr

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pcspinheiro said:

Those look cool, what's the make and model? FYI, I found this french site that has a large selection of rims but, most importantly, allows you to see how they look in different sizes in a realistic view. It's velonity.fr

I wish I knew, I did try to identify them but no markings from memory.

Paul

16 hours ago, Gingerboy said:

I wish I knew, I did try to identify them but no markings from memory.

Paul

Nice wheels; darn sight easier than cleaning the Trinitys on ours with their small gaps.