Reversing Camera Retrofit

I had to remove mine as the camera has gone totally blurry. Lasted 6 months. 

Thankfully covered under warranty but a real pain to remove and post to China. Dubious on the quality now as it’s last such a short period of time. 

Which camera did you have, the MQB one? I do recall someone saying that when they moved it, their setup didn't return to how it was before when using the reverse sensors, is yours ok?

2 minutes ago, Jip said:

Which camera did you have, the MQB one? I do recall someone saying that when they moved it, their setup didn't return to how it was before when using the reverse sensors, is yours ok?

Yes, was working perfectly all winter long with no issues and then just one morning it was blurred and unusable. 

My first post here, and english is not my native.

I have finally managed to install the Sinosmart reversing camera on my Octavia mk3 MY2015 (nickname: brownie).

The hardest part was the cabling to the head unit, but figured out somehow. The other one was the factory release switch, where I could use a third arm for the removal.

The image quality is not the greatest, as others already noted, but it works fine (not sure now for how long) as well as the dynamic trajectory.

The supplied tool for the radio removal is a crap, so be careful ! Mine has stucked into the head unit and it took me at least two hours to remove it...

Anyway enough of the complaints, here are some distance check at the green and the red line. The green distance is about ~1m (~3ft), the red is about .5-.6m (<2ft), which I think good enough.

IMG_20210506_082937.jpg

IMG_20210506_173413.jpg

IMG_20210506_173516.jpg

IMG_20210506_173655.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The tool is not crap. You just have to push the steel plates - springs at both sides of head unit to release the tool. All these tools will work the same way. 

Hello,

I am retrofitting a MIB2 unit (5Q0035874A) in my 2013 Octy. I would like to fit a reverse camera as well, however, the SINOSMART CanBus version (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000230897829.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.40694c4dTEPT93) which I think is the most reliable one does not fit my car boot handle (My car handle is 92x35mm).

A potential solution is getting only the camera (type D) and make a hole close to the handle for the attachment. For this type D camera, there are two options, one is MQB wire, and another is PQ wire. I wonder which type should I go for? My guess would be MQB, true?

Or, I can find another camera. Does anyone know a reliable camera which can fit on a 2013 Oct with 5Q0035874A head unit?

Any help is highly appreciated!

On 11/10/2020 at 22:58, SashaGrace said:

One like this will do it, £15.36  16% Off | Auto Trunk Handle Car Rear View Reverse Backup Parking Camera For Skoda Octavia Fabia Superb Rapid Spaceback/Audi A1 A4L A6L Q3
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BS9P3P any handle that’s 92x35 and NTSC will do it :) These handles have threads but there are two clips, think I got one with clips when I did my car. You can make a bracket though. Tbh since upgrading mine, I would cut the boot as the handle is so much nicer and it looks much tidier.

Cut that trunk @Vahids and get a good looking handle and well known reverse camera :) 

A question for experts; if the camera power is connected to the always powered supply, like rear wiper, doesn't that mean the camera is constantly working (just not displayed on infotainment) when the car is in used? Rather than if it is connected to reverse light or rear approximate sensors it is turned on when the reverse gear is selected?

The OEM highline and lowline cameras both have a permanent live connection from fuse 18 (IIRC). They only turn on when needed, the highline gets a CAN-bus signal and the lowline uses a feed from the reverse lights. The lowline uses the separate power feed to avoid interference from the bulb monitoring system.

As for Chinese versions, I'd hope the CAN-bus versions used the same logic. The 'dumb' versions with only power/ground connections will depend how you've installed them. Then again, there are so many different but similar looking versions for the Chinese cameras, it's impossible to know exactly what they do until it arrives. Even more so given the number of caveats/incompatibilities mentioned by the Sinosmart seller linked by @Vahids.

As for MQB vs PQ, the MK3 Octavia is a MQB platform car so I'd suggest that version...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

The OEM highline and lowline cameras both have a permanent live connection from fuse 18 (IIRC). They only turn on when needed, the highline gets a CAN-bus signal and the lowline uses a feed from the reverse lights. The lowline uses the separate power feed to avoid interference from the bulb monitoring system.

As for Chinese versions, I'd hope the CAN-bus versions used the same logic. The 'dumb' versions with only power/ground connections will depend how you've installed them. Then again, there are so many different but similar looking versions for the Chinese cameras, it's impossible to know exactly what they do until it arrives. Even more so given the number of caveats/incompatibilities mentioned by the Sinosmart seller linked by @Vahids.

As for MQB vs PQ, the MK3 Octavia is a MQB platform car so I'd suggest that version...

Thanks for the information @langers2k. I wonder if the following camera is a Can-bus compatible or not. Couldn't find any details about the canbus in its details though

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32867335459.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2cb74c4dYV6ByH

18 minutes ago, Vahids said:

I wonder if the following camera is a Can-bus compatible or not. Couldn't find any details about the canbus in its details though

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32867335459.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2cb74c4dYV6ByH

That is a 'dumb' camera, there is no CAN-bus connection, moving lines or anything fancy. It'll spit out a video signal whenever it's got power.

If you use it, you'll need to connect it to the reverse lights to turn it on/off. You'll probably need either a time delay relay or a signal filter to get it working properly :)

• Thanks 1

Just now, langers2k said:

That is a 'dumb' camera, there is no CAN-bus connection, moving lines or anything fancy. It'll spit out a video signal whenever it's got power.

If you use it, you'll need to connect it to the reverse lights to turn it on/off. You'll probably need either a time delay relay or a signal filter to get it working properly :)

Thanks a lot @langers2k, very helpful information. 

I find that they give a much more stable image when powered all the time the ignition is on instead of using the feed from the radio which is triggered via canbus from the reverse gear selection, with that there is often a delay and/or freeezing of the image.

The downside is if the camera has LED night vision illumination like my current one using visible spectrum white LEDS and not infra red you will be permenantly showing a white light to the rear and disturbing drivers behind even in daylight.

It was easy for me to disable the LED's and the night vision with the standard reversing lights is more than adequate, better than the CCTV systems that I installed up to 2004.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I find that they give a much more stable image when powered all the time the ignition is on instead of using the feed from the radio which is triggered via canbus from the reverse gear selection, with that there is often a delay and/or freeezing of the image.

The original radio's don't have a feed to power camera's or similar...

Actually, I am dumb, the proper camera with can-bus support has a version which supports boot with smaller handle size, i.e., 92x35 (for 2013 & 2014). So, I cancelled the previous one and going to order this with camera E + MQB wire. Can't wait to fit it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000230897829.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.40694c4dTEPT93

Screenshot 2021-05-11 at 13.15.30.png

Edited by Vahids

2 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Good luck!

My only suggestion would be to check it works by connecting it in the front footwell before running the wires though the car etc :)

That's a good advice indeed. Will do, thanks.

2 hours ago, langers2k said:

The original radio's don't have a feed to power camera's or similar...

Yes, I was referring to my 2 installs with Chinese head units.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

i am having trouble finding a reversing camera that will be suitable for a 2020 (Build date November IIRC) Superb III.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Gaz

3 minutes ago, jinxgj said:

i am having trouble finding a reversing camera that will be suitable for a 2020 (Build date November IIRC) Superb III.

Might be worth asking in the Superb III forum?

16 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Might be worth asking in the Superb III forum?

Ooopps...sorry....

Will ask in there.

Thanks

Gaz

• 5 weeks later...

I bought the below Sinosmart MQB camera a while ago. Was busy with moving home, so when it arrived I quickly just test it to see if it works on my newly installed unit (a MIB2 5Q0035874A bought a week before buying the camera) AND it worked perfectly without changing the coding (just plug and play) as the unit's previous owner has set up the unit for a reverse camera. However, during this period (which I hadn't installed the camera yet) I was getting a park assist error which was vey annoying, so I just disabled the reverse camera in 5F Byte 19 Bit 4 (removed tick for enable reverse camera low) and that fixed the park pilot error message. Now that I have free time to install the camera, it does not work anymore even when I enable that bit again!!!  What sort of coding do I need to do for these Sinosmart MQB cameras (except the 5F Byte 19)? Are they highline or lowline camera type?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000230897829.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.40694c4dTEPT93

Tagging some experts to see if they have any advice for me @SashaGrace @langers2k @weyland

Your help and time is very much appreciated!

Thanks!