Guide: Upgrading Columbus firmware and maps

AJ7788

Hello there, can any one tell me if is there a new fw and newer map version for my rns??

My system is the above

Address 37: Navigation (J0506)       Labels: 1T0-035-680.clb
   Part No SW: 3T0 035 680 G    HW: 3T0 035 680 G
   Component: RNS-MID       H10 5218 
   Revision: AB001001    Serial number: SKZ6Z7N2781738
   Coding: 04060042040100810000
   Shop #: WSC 00231 447 72242
   VCID: 3449D08F9755CD9E89-8060

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 3T0 051 859 AG  Component: EU East V12  8196

No fault code found.

regards

vv

Edited by 4WDDSG6

'8196' are v12 for Europe East. It looks like v13 for both East (8349?) and West (8348?) Europe are just becoming available (it's usually about this time of year) but we can't tell you how to get them other than visit your dealer and get a blank stare.

I have just got a 2010 superb with a columbus unit in it.

A few questions  I am hoping folks can help with. 

I cannot get to the secret screen to confirm details of the unit however I have removed the unit and it is marked 3T0 035 680 A.

Can someone suggest the best firmware to update my unit. 

I do not know what it has at the moment but it seems OK with 7 character post codes but not does not like sdhc cards.

Where should I look to source up to date maps?

many thanks

Roy

Edited by rtb1965

4010 from links on 'My Gti' website.

You'll need a map disc as it'll most likely wipe them out.

It should then read SDHC cards up to 32Gb I think.

After a bit of advice.

After a botched map update this evening I have a non-functioning Columbus!

It boots up (with no boot logo) then freezes shortly after.

I was on firmware 5270 and I'm going to try and install the firmware again (I can only find 5269 or 5274 so going for 5269).

The worry I have is that will it complain about it being a downgrade? But I can't access the hidden menu to enable a downgrade!

Is there another way to completely re-format it? Or do I just stick the 5269 CD I've just burnt in and hope for the best?

Phil

The worry I have is that will it complain about it being a downgrade? But I can't access the hidden menu to enable a downgrade!

Is there another way to completely re-format it? Or do I just stick the 5269 CD I've just burnt in and hope for the best?

Try <SETUP>+<MIC>+<EJECT> when it complains that the new firmware is too old. If I remember correctly, it'll tell you this once it tries to boot from the disc.

I took mine from 5274 to 4120 and back using the above method.

Phil. I'm not far away if you need any physical help. I'll have a 5270 firmware here if you need it, but I've had issues with 5270 before which downgrading to 5269 has cured.

However, a maps update shouldn't cause any issues.

Shoot me a pm if you need any help.

The reason the map update broke it was that I was using the SD to HDD method and it wasn't working (rebooted 3 times and got stuck in SWL).

The DVD discs I have don't seem to read very well in my unit hence why I used the other method.

It worked last time perfectly but I'm not going to try it again after this!

Just need to buy some decent DVDs to use.

When you find some DVDs that work can you let me know what they are please ? Presume they have to be dual layer DVDs ?

6276 (or any 6*** based firmware) will destroy your unit. It's for a different hardware than you have, and will not end well if you try and update it to 6***.

Can you explain this? For which units is this 6276 firmware?

6*** based firmwares are only for 6*** based units. Hardware differences mean you cannot upgrade any previous 5***, 4***, 3***, 2***, 1***, or 0*** based units to use this firmware. So unless your unit has 6270 or later firmware stamped on the label, do not use 6*** firmwares to upgrade. So look at the label on the unit and see what it says. If it already has (for example) 6270 firmware from the factory, then you can reload a 6*** firmware. If the label says (for example) 5270, then you cannot use any 6*** firmware.

• 3 weeks later...

My newish to me car has a factory fitted Colombus.

The previous owner (and OP) upgraded the software to 4120 with v11 maps in his ownership.

The Colombus has been running very slow lately with significant delay when adjusting volume, selecting next track and changing media types etc.

I have performed a factory reset however there has only been negligible improvement.

I have new software, 5238 and v13 maps available. Should I go straight for an upgrade or are there better options available to me to improve performance?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

• Like 1

A software update might help, but it's not a guarantee of fixing the fault. If you problem is software related the it could help, but if your problem is hardware related then it could kill the unit. The versions you mention would be okay, and without knowing what your unit is I wouldn't think more would be better.

A software update might help, but it's not a guarantee of fixing the fault. If you problem is software related the it could help, but if your problem is hardware related then it could kill the unit. The versions you mention would be okay, and without knowing what your unit is I wouldn't think more would be better.

Hi mate, it'll be the unit in the original post as this was my car when I made the thread originally :)

I don't think 5xxx firmware will bring any difference if 4120 is working.

Perhaps a downgrade to 4020 may be more appropriate!

I'd do the map update though.

Hi mate, it'll be the unit in the original post as this was my car when I made the thread originally :)

I don't think 5xxx firmware will bring any difference if 4120 is working.

Perhaps a downgrade to 4020 may be more appropriate!

I'd do the map update though.

Thanks all for the advice. I guess I was hoping for a solution that didn't involve upgrading or downgrading firmware.

I will load new firmware today and if successful, load v13 maps and report back here.

Hi, 

I'm a new owner of a skoda superb 2, and i have a question regarding the columbus.

How would i see the firmware version or the maps version? 

I keept the setup key pressed for quite some time but all i see is a radio test for am and fm... nothing else!

Any advice?