What have you done to your Superb III today?

I cleaned it. Turns out the wax from the other week is really nice, pearling is superb. Of course it rained within a hour of the car being done, but hey.... the insects came off really nicely with some special stuff from the detailing place. Very impressed. 

IMG_20220609_154830_hdr.thumb.jpg.3bd39069935b1f114727991e75beb788.jpg

1 hour ago, brettikivi said:

I cleaned it. Turns out the wax from the other week is really nice, pearling is superb. Of course it rained within a hour of the car being done, but hey.... the insects came off really nicely with some special stuff from the detailing place. Very impressed. 

Wow, what wax did you use? 

37 minutes ago, brettikivi said:

Collinite 476. 

I have the liquid Collinite and it's similar. In fact, I dare say the sonax brilliant shine detailer also does the same. All excellent beading effect. 

476 is a good one, old school but good. 

Booked in for a DSG oil change, was meant to do it before 40k but closer to 41k now.

What’s odd is the Skoda website is like £284 and says DSG Gearbox Oil + Filter. My local dealership is £215 but just says DSG Gearbox Oil, but I rang them to confirm it does come with Filter aswell, which is does.

Still crazy expensive but then I cba to do it myself

2 hours ago, Danoid said:

Booked in for a DSG oil change, was meant to do it before 40k but closer to 41k now.

What’s odd is the Skoda website is like £284 and says DSG Gearbox Oil + Filter. My local dealership is £215 but just says DSG Gearbox Oil, but I rang them to confirm it does come with Filter aswell, which is does.

If a DS250 (DSG6), there’s a how to guide here ;) 

4 hours ago, Danoid said:

The price of the oil doesnt really make it that much more for the dealer to do it. (if using genuine parts)

The dealer is subsidized for the work so they dont make much at all on it themselves.

On 09/06/2022 at 16:21, brettikivi said:

Also cleaned and polished with poor boy's ssr-1 mine last weekend at the inlaws, but i forgot to take the wax with me... That was the ONLY thing I forgot to take, damn it! I use Bilt Hamber double speed wax and that stuff is awesome, both in terms of effect and durability. 

Edited by pcspinheiro

• 2 weeks later...

Had a full 40k service Including the pollen and air filters, engine flush and oil change, DSG (full fluid removal and filter replaced), Haldex, differential and brake fluid changed, all done at Wheelbase in Hersham. 

24 minutes ago, numskull said:

Had a full 40k service Including the pollen and air filters, engine flush and oil change, DSG (full fluid removal and filter replaced), Haldex, differential and brake fluid changed, all done at Wheelbase in Hersham. 

Dare I ask the cost?

Mine's just flashed up an "Inspection in 30 days" message at 53k. Not sure what that entails. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

Dare I ask the cost?

Mine's just flashed up an "Inspection in 30 days" message at 53k. Not sure what that entails. 

£866. Was over a grand at the main stealers. 

Easy USB Power to Central arm rest console.

I hate cable mess so having to loop around a cable to the rear 12v plug or have cable mess up the front gave me the sh#ts and early Superbs don't have power to the central console. So something had to be done about it and I didn't want to have to graft onto wiring and pull the whole console out. Decided to have a crack at it with some ribbon cables. Took a punt and guessed a 50cm USB-A (male) to USB-A (female) cable from AliExpress might do the trick:

image.png.7f184538594d71c5b5733e8e7a16bc91.png

I removed the rear ashtray drawer (pull right hand side up and out and then slide the left hand hinge out to the right) and removed the felt liner of the central arm rest console. Using some string with a loop and a wire coat hanger i threaded the string back to the rear opening and threaded the USB cable through to the middle hole in the central console:

image.png.4289f1d87b814a8d1bd396c6eed43ce4.png

Then shrink wrapped the female end to make it look nice and protect it a little:

image.png.113ca7c659d990c466967a78a5a2d45b.png

And then simply replaced the rear ash tray drawer with the cable over the top and plugged in a 12v dual USB socket and plugged in my USB cable.

image.png.740af00fb3d9f677c06830cd7faf440b.png

Works a charm and still leaves the kids a rear USB charging socket for long trips. When i get round to it I'll shrink wrap the rear USB plug to protect it from the kids and make it look a little cleaner.

Turns out a 50cm ribbon cable is the perfect length for this. The cable behaves nicely with the opening of the drawer and gives about 15cm of lead in the console. When not in use it can easily sit down in the lower tablet space below the trap door too. Apparently the cable is good for up to 5A when lengths up to 50cm are used, which is more than it'll ever need to carry to charge the odd phone or my ear buds.

Edited by Frankenfurter
  • Like 4

On 15/05/2022 at 22:26, Chazzy said:

Driver seat memory stopped working at some point, OBDEleven scan threw up basic setting missing from all driver seat motors. Ran basic settings routine via OBDEleven and all working again. 

Got my car 2 weeks ago and drivers  seat memory not working. Obviously still under warranty and was booked in for fixing. Said it would be an hours job, so decided to wait while it was done. Technician came out to me after 45 mins and said sorry, scan threw up 3 faults in drivers seat and will have to book it in for whole day. Apparently the seat AND the dashboard have to come out to get to these faults. Earliest date is 01 Aug.

5 hours ago, BillyParker said:

Got my car 2 weeks ago and drivers  seat memory not working. Obviously still under warranty and was booked in for fixing. Said it would be an hours job, so decided to wait while it was done. Technician came out to me after 45 mins and said sorry, scan threw up 3 faults in drivers seat and will have to book it in for whole day. Apparently the seat AND the dashboard have to come out to get to these faults. Earliest date is 01 Aug.

Any idea what reason the dashboard has to come out?

all I can think is gateway module, bcm and seat module... none of which require a dash removal 

On 08/07/2022 at 03:50, Frankenfurter said:

Easy USB Power to Central arm rest console.

I hate cable mess so having to loop around a cable to the rear 12v plug or have cable mess up the front gave me the sh#ts and early Superbs don't have power to the central console. So something had to be done about it and I didn't want to have to graft onto wiring and pull the whole console out. Decided to have a crack at it with some ribbon cables. Took a punt and guessed a 50cm USB-A (male) to USB-A (female) cable from AliExpress might do the trick:

image.png.7f184538594d71c5b5733e8e7a16bc91.png

I removed the rear ashtray drawer (pull right hand side up and out and then slide the left hand hinge out to the right) and removed the felt liner of the central arm rest console. Using some string with a loop and a wire coat hanger i threaded the string back to the rear opening and threaded the USB cable through to the middle hole in the central console:

image.png.4289f1d87b814a8d1bd396c6eed43ce4.png

Then shrink wrapped the female end to make it look nice and protect it a little:

image.png.113ca7c659d990c466967a78a5a2d45b.png

And then simply replaced the rear ash tray drawer with the cable over the top and plugged in a 12v dual USB socket and plugged in my USB cable.

image.png.740af00fb3d9f677c06830cd7faf440b.png

Works a charm and still leaves the kids a rear USB charging socket for long trips. When i get round to it I'll shrink wrap the rear USB plug to protect it from the kids and make it look a little cleaner.

Turns out a 50cm ribbon cable is the perfect length for this. The cable behaves nicely with the opening of the drawer and gives about 15cm of lead in the console. When not in use it can easily sit down in the lower tablet space below the trap door too. Apparently the cable is good for up to 5A when lengths up to 50cm are used, which is more than it'll ever need to carry to charge the odd phone or my ear buds.

Any chance you can link to where you got these from please?

2nd brake fluid replacement done today without any trouble, thanks to an excellent "how to guide" available on this forum... 😄

did 1600km / 1000 miles this week. it's an excellent mile-muncher. Also did a bunch of gravel driving for the first time and it's really cool to feel the power being vectored around as you accelerate out of a corner with loose fluff. 

Only fly in the ointment: radio reception isn't up to snuff. I think I might need to replace the antenna with something with a bit of length. It's OK in town but I'm driving the boonies... analogue, too, no DAB up here as yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, elfensin said:

Installed Golf MK8 rear lower control arm cover today. 

Super easy install, basically plug and play.

2040452643__20220729203947.thumb.jpg.364eaca3f828a4a2a0180a60e74e5bd5.jpg

1710949646__20220729203942.thumb.jpg.8f4838af6a0c2bf728bea00f8705ee52.jpg

What’s the benefits to these? Any reduced wind noise or anything?

• Like 1