Columbus Map Update 2023 (MIB1/2 HIGH)

Yes top work. I haven't spotted the RoW ones yet. Like the European one I guess that has jumped serial number by a bit so will need a wider search.

Btw with a Mac you use Keka as the unzip program. Copy the output then over to the SD card (or USB) then use CleanMyDrive on the media. It scrubs the Mac characters that stop the SLA1 signature check. That is the recommended VW way of doing it. I know Skoda folk like to plough their own furrow but if you keep to VAG company methods you won't go wrong. 

Attached are the last Discovery Pro (Columbus / Seat Plus / Mib2 high) how to do it notes. Although people misread the pdf, recommendation is a 32gb card in Fat32, class 10 card and if using a Mac Keka and CleanMyDrive, 7zip otherwise. You can't go wrong if you stick to the recommendations, you can go wrong if you move away from the recommendations.

Discover_Pro_June_2020_EN.pdf

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

Thank you for the clear instructions - very useful for a menopausal numpty 🙃

"extract content to SD Card" = Could someone please advise if an SDXC card is suitable for my 2016 L&K Superb Mk III with Columbus system? I previously (nervously) updated to the 2021 map using a 32GB SDHC class 10 card but my understanding is that I need a larger capacity care (64GB?) card for the current update? I am a Mac user but have access to a Windows computer.

Advice in 'numpty' speak gratefully received.

27 minutes ago, MASH13 said:

Thank you for the clear instructions - very useful for a menopausal numpty 🙃

"extract content to SD Card" = Could someone please advise if an SDXC card is suitable for my 2016 L&K Superb Mk III with Columbus system? I previously (nervously) updated to the 2021 map using a 32GB SDHC class 10 card but my understanding is that I need a larger capacity care (64GB?) card for the current update? I am a Mac user but have access to a Windows computer.

Advice in 'numpty' speak gratefully received.

No 32gb card in fat32 is fine. People format the 32gb card in NTFS for the hell of it thinking its better. Nope. it doesnt fit on it then. They then buy a 64gb card but a 32gb in fat32 is just fine. Min spec class 10.

The fly in the ointment is that Windows 10 / 11 on a reformat changes the cluster size to something stupid, you have to set it back. Don't reformat the card, just delete and should be fine. Not at home at the minute. I'll post up latter what it should be, 4096 from memory, if you do attempt to reformat it in fat32 if it's a 32gb card.

I'm using a collection of 32gb Aldi Medion SD cards I inherited 😍.

It's a Skoda thing of going off piste / take the high road 😉. The recommended VW way, the mothership PDF I posted up above. NTFS mentioned is for the PC not the card.

Edited by Tell
clarification
  • Like 1

Yes the cluster size on the one I installed FAT32, 32 GB. Allocation size is 16 kilobytes.

image.png.706adc8ca62f15fdf3bb00213bca0636.png

With this release of the Maps on it leaves 379MBs free. That number may vary on the manufacture of the card but not a lot. :

image.png.824deea12765f2052685fa7926eedefb.png

4096 is the number for the Mib2 standard that should never be changed.

• Like 1

Tell's PDF says "You will need an SD card with a minimum of 32 GB of storage". So clearly it can be bigger, and would then have to be formatted as NTFS. That works fine (as I point out twice a year!)

You can do it that way but not recommended. 32gb Fat 32 card is recommended. Others put USB pen drives in but again that's not recommended. Basically if the update goes wrong you won't have any map loaded in the system. Doesn't go back into a fall back position, all or nothing once it starts. So best to stick to the rules.

Just say stick to the rules else it compounds difficulties for other people that don't get it quite right. The 32 gb SD card are only £6 on Amazon. SanDisk.

I have one 64gb card ready for when the maps pop 32gb if that ever happens in the life cycle of updates.... a couple of years left now unless the mib collective (European enthusiasts) raise to the occasion of converting the mib3 map files to mib2. They are Here Maps in both so you would think possible. Have suggested it and was told that would be a neat project by the person who wrote the high version of Mib Tool. They have been busy loading up Gracenotes past the version shipped in the final release of mib2 high firmware, ones into their own homebrew adaption of mib2 high firmware denoted by AIO.... so you never know they might switch to giving life to mib2 high maps after VAG stop updating them. Something similar was done with RNS but definitely before my time.

Edited by Tell
tidy edit

40 minutes ago, Nimby said:

Tell's PDF says "You will need an SD card with a minimum of 32 GB of storage". So clearly it can be bigger, and would then have to be formatted as NTFS. That works fine (as I point out twice a year!)

On that is where people get in a mess

32gb - Fat32

64gb - NTFS

But the document doesn't say that so people start moaning the maps are too big for 32gb card since they formatted it to NTFS. A few years ago some people got away with NTFS on 32gb cards but they should have had then in Fat32 then. Germans boards discovered that and started growsing. Their issue should have been using Fat32 on those 32gb cards in the first place.

I get picky since the mib2 standard map card is also sensitive to being messed up by incorrectly formatting it. That is definitely fat32 and 4096. Weird things happen if it's in NTFS. Doesn't read all the attributes. Then users corrupt them and they stop working :blink:.

• Love it! 1

2 minutes ago, itsbrun said:

Hi martini , 

Can you tell me what's the difference in the ECE 2023 links the Volkswagen link and the lighthouse e lab link ? I'm just wondering which one to download? 

Thank you 

MartiniB will tell you they are all the same its just they are stored on different servers. You can use file comparison software if you get the urge but you can look at the signature on the metainfo2.txt files in the main directory and mib1 and mib2. That signature at the end SLA1 signs those files. Pretty impossible to change what's in those files once signed. So if all signatures tally between the two it's identical. You can look at the byte size but ofcourse could tally. Dont save those files once opened, just cancell to get out.

Boots and braces check. Another is to use 7zip CRC SLA1 highlighting the three entities. That generates the SLA1 checksum on the three entities. If it's different between the two release sets the files are different.

These are the checks you do if you think the brand releases are different. They are not. Why its a waste of time to refuse to use a different brand release to another since all brand releases are the same. Some are more available than others.

They will be identical since we trust MartiniB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tell said:

They will be identical since we trust MartiniB

. . and files aren't made by me, they are located on official servers, i just guessed paths to them

The first link is to a CDN https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network

So will locate a server in your Country for faster downloading.

2nd link is 'direct' but might still redirect to a CDN.

Files = Same, no matter how they arrive at your destination.

You can check the routing yourself if you like

tracert vw-maps-cdn.lighthouselabs.eu

Tracing route to cs590.wpc.etacdn.net [152.199.22.79]

tracert navigation-maps.volkswagen.com

Tracing route to cs1864.wpc.etacdn.net [93.184.221.109]

Edited by varooom
  • Love it! 1

48 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

. . and files aren't made by me, they are located on official servers, i just guessed paths to them

Well we thought you made them 😇.. you check the location then they move sometimes why people start moaning that it's not there.... you'd need the master key to lock them if you made them. Don't think anybody has that but all Vag files whethere they are firmware or software are locked with the same key.

For another hell of it activity I ran the manual way of doing the Sla1 signature check I found the mib public key online, someone had extracted it from a unit (popped it as they say). You could then pretend you were the unit and do the signature check using the algorithm used for it. Covered that on the Seat board. I was given some help by a crypto fan site. It's your pure mathematics (do have two maths degrees so thought I'd give it a whirl... didn't cover cryptography in those days). Cryptology for SLA1 uses a feature of pure mathematics that makes it a bit tricky to work backwards. Eigenvalues I recall.... never liked them. Err... you can get an MSc in Cryptology now... give that a miss.

Being able to do the signature check doesn't help if you want to alter the files since you need to re sign them using the primary key. But I did check the firmware files as well to see whether the same public key was the same. Actually you would expect them to use the same public key else the units would have to use a different algorithm, they don't. The mib collective people as I call them use a backdoor that was discovered by dummying up a POI import then slapping all their code without sla1 signatures after the POI import signature. That's how they do the AIO firmware. Clever stuff. The unit keeps reading anything after the last sla1 signature. A design over sight but VAG will known that by now for sure. That's sort of like 100 people slipping behind the automated ticket gates when one person passes. A slight oversight.

Edited by Tell

I have downloaded the second link the Volkswagen one , extracted to formatted  SD and loaded to my car (skoda octavia with columbus)

all worked perfectly first time .

thank you everybody for your excellent information and help .

For the first time, the download wouldn't fit on my 32 Gb SD card. My Mac said it needed an extra 77 Mb of space. Simple, I deleted the maps for Russia from the Mib1 folder and there was plenty of room.

Haven't tried to install it on the Columbus unit yet, though.

57 minutes ago, freelunch said:

For the first time, the download wouldn't fit on my 32 Gb SD card. My Mac said it needed an extra 77 Mb of space. Simple, I deleted the maps for Russia from the Mib1 folder and there was plenty of room.

Haven't tried to install it on the Columbus unit yet, though.

I can guarantee you it will fail the SLA1 signature check. Unlike the Mib2 standard you can't hack what is inside the Mib2 high files. The Mib2 high map material is in the Mib1 directory as well as the Mib2. I spent a long time in the past try to adjust those files by varies means but the bottom line is you can't. They are sealed with those encryption signatures which stop you fiddling with the contents. I went into all of that above. It's impossible to resign the file without knowing the Vag master key. Uses two keys, master key and the public key. The latter is used to unlock. That's public domain not the master key. Too sign you are into encryption algorithms plus recompiling the checksums. Latter can be done  but not the signature unless you have the Vag key. Signed with an SLA1 encryption signature.

You could try CleanMyDrive on the SD card before the copy incase there is hidden Mac stuff you csn get rid off. Failing that your best bet is to buy 64 card or use a USB exfat or ntfs.

For background reading:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALiCzsYhBUj1XLh1wR0IhL_pmsOJYfUmTA:1669469927936&q=sha1+signature+encryption&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjn8pGQ_Mv7AhWYRsAKHTrmBbAQ7xYoAHoECAoQAQ&biw=1920&bih=891&dpr=1

The good Mib enthusiasts have a way of bypassing the signature key check covered above, but you still need to recompute a lot of checksums so not worth the effort.

Almost certain with the next release that even the 32gb cards it now fits on it won't next year. Have a class 10 64GB exfat card ready for that. Debating whether to splash out into a USB, I'm not sure of the bus speed of the USB v the internal SD reader - anyone. Previously, fast speeds have been quoted with a USB. May be the fastes USB3 you can get might be the order of the day but capped by the USB2 speed in use. A like little SanDisk Ultra Flair 128 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive, Upto 150MB/s read... got one already.

Edited by Tell
  • Love it! 1