Update to Version 1969

Just to add I would be doubtful that any hardware replacements would be required in relation to software updates.  My First Edition was built in October/November 2020 , had no hardware replaced and It's happily running 1969 which is speedy and responsive with zero reboots or crashes.  There was a period when Skoda workshops were replacing some Telematics modules that were linked to an unstable SOS problem but now they have developed a firmware fix that addresses that issue.

• Like 1

I have a question about the OTA updates.

If I accept the 1969 update when I am on a short journey what happens when I finish the journey and switch off?

Does it continue?

Does it pause and then restart when next switched on?

Does it crash?

I was offered the update today but deferred it as the journey was only 2 miles/

• Like 1

Just noticed mention of “flickering console” on a post on the last page. 

I must admit I thought I’d noticed my water temp gauge/fuel gauge flicker slightly dimmer a couple of times when driving at night but thought it was just me. 

Is this actually an issue then? (SW version is 1941). 

3 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

Is this actually an issue then?

There is TPI for that problem, dashboard firmware update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Edela said:

There is TPI for that problem, dashboard firmware update.

Ah ok. Both times I thought I’d noticed it were after the car had installed app updates so I figured it was while it was doing things in the background. 

I’ll look at getting it booked in to get looked at. 

11 hours ago, Michelob said:

@STEV0 did you get the dealer to do the initial update also?

The car was on 1896 when I got it. I then updated it to 1941 myself and then 1969 a couple of weeks later. All fine so far.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2024 at 16:23, RobL50 said:

If I accept the 1969 update when I am on a short journey what happens when I finish the journey and switch off?

Does it continue?

Does it crash?

I was offered the update today but deferred it as the journey was only 2 miles/

Good question. I'm not sure if I've been offered the update yet. There was an update message a few days ago but I'm not sure what it was for as I was driving and the update messages are not easy to read fully when you're driving. I accepted it but no message to say an update installed or not. That's one thing I hate - you don't get told when something has installed. Why the hell not?

1 hour ago, mccririck said:

That's one thing I hate - you don't get told when something has installed. Why the hell not?

That is actually weird, I always get notification when something is installed. As well as no problem reading what is the update about, as soon as car stops it let me read what's there.

Hello,

I'm thinking to upgrade to 1969 due to I'm going crazy with continuously restart and sometimes and infot. Sworn on also when the car is closed.

I've actually this configuration.

IMG_20240430_113932.thumb.jpg.8fbe9d44a2c963a9d83bd8e7328f0833.jpg

Do you think I could solve?

Thanks for the help

6 hours ago, kiter76 said:

Hello,

I'm thinking to upgrade to 1969 due to I'm going crazy with continuously restart and sometimes and infot. Sworn on also when the car is closed.

I've actually this configuration.

IMG_20240430_113932.thumb.jpg.8fbe9d44a2c963a9d83bd8e7328f0833.jpg

Do you think I could solve?

Thanks for the help

Seems like a dangerous choice to make. If it reboots during the update then the unit will be totally bricked. Have you contacted Skoda?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

Seems like a dangerous choice to make. If it reboots during the update then the unit will be totally bricked. Have you contacted Skoda?

Yes I do and they gave me an appointment very far.

Yesterday evening seems to go ok without any problem after I disabled gesture and proximity from the display settings.

Sorry for the little OT I'll put this trick into another topic 

7 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

It shouldn't reboot when it's in maintenance mode. When I did 1941 and it was doing random reboots in 1900 software, once I activated the maintenance mode with the software/ firmware screen the reboots stopped and I was able to do the update without any problem.

However by doing the update yourself, you always run the risk of it going wrong and you "bricking" your system. Something that the forum cannot be held responsible for.

Ultimately you have choices

1. Do it yourself (at your own risk)

2. Take it to the dealership (£££, but safe)

3. Wait for the OTA update (free and safe)

The choice is yours.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2024 at 16:23, RobL50 said:

Does it continue?

Does it crash?

It definitely doesn't crash. It pauses and continues when the car is next switched on. I had a similar thing with an update last year. If you press "more info" it tells you there that power cycling the car, and moving away from the update screen won't affect the update and it will continue.

I've not been offered 1969 OTA yet. In the last week I've had a couple of app updates, but nothing else.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JamesK said:

It definitely doesn't crash. It pauses and continues when the car is next switched on. I had a similar thing with an update last year. If you press "more info" it tells you there that power cycling the car, and moving away from the update screen won't affect the update and it will continue.

I've not been offered 1969 OTA yet. In the last week I've had a couple of app updates, but nothing else.

Thanks.  I have just had a minor OTA update and I agree that 'More Info' gave that information.

When I am offered 1969 I will accept it and leave it to workout how to download and install it with my short runs (it is a PHEV).

@spcdust thanks for creating the topic and sharing the files. I have successfully updated Australia spec MY21 Octavia with 1969.

Just a note that USB drive must be formatted in NTFS. I have tried FAT32 first and the car didn't recognise it.

3 hours ago, lost_npc said:

@spcdust thanks for creating the topic and sharing the files. I have successfully updated Australia spec MY21 Octavia with 1969.

Just a note that USB drive must be formatted in NTFS. I have tried FAT32 first and the car didn't recognise it.

Interesting it recognised NTFS.  ExFat is will also work fine and generally has wider compatibility across platforms and OS - hence why USB sticks generally come pre-formatted ExFat.

Edited by spcdust
  • Like 1

I haven’t tried exFAT unfortunately and not sure why I decided to format to ntfs after fat32 didn’t work:) Well it sounds like both ntfs and exfat are supported and importantly the update didn’t brick anything 

• Like 4

Strange FAT32 worked last time, mind you its a dated format now with drives being so large, so EX-FAT is probably the way to go.

Still no sign of an OTA update, not worried as the system is working fine and I don't see that I'm missing out on anything new other than boot time.

• Like 1