Superskoda hood power damper

I just received an order from superskoda with the hood power damper. Has anyone gotten these bad screws from them?

post-110632-0-23230800-1396697731_thumb.jpg

I ordered 2 sets and both of them had a good screw and a bad one. The one with a thin rim cannot be tightened with a key like you see in their install video.

Plus, another thing that seemed strange to me when I watched the install video, the original hood screw that they unscrew seems longer that the one they put back. And indeed, it is so. Add the washer that you need when you install their screw and you get a much shorter screw then the original.

post-110632-0-16360200-1396697801_thumb.jpg

I wrote them 2 weeks before ordering this item to ask them if KI-R screw is shorter than the original one and they haven't replied to that email even to this day.
Edited by florino

Hmm, doesn't look good, maybe get hold of LadyVienna, she has them fitted to hers, might be able to understand a bit more?

• 1 year later...

I did a bit of calculation & measurement and I'm ready to assemble something like that myself (and share my findings of course ;) maybe with a bit of improvement. Just to get properly prepared - what size is the screw? M8 or M10?

One more question to the topic - I bought the pins (Bilstein 04006 & 04260), but they have different ball size: the M6 is 8mm or so and M8 is 10mm or so.

Do the dampers have similar different sized seats on both ends 3A9 827 550 / Bilstein 01188?

If not, is it easy to change those fittings?

Btw, I have re-done my calc and I can see that 500N is way too much. I would go with 320 or 350N.

Seat Ibiza 2 (525mm 320N) / Fiat brava (520mm 350N). Go for 14-19€ on eBay.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I've done this mod using Fiat Bravo/Brava 95- 520x200 dampers as suggested by @wlange. Type of dampers is Polcar 3018AB1 and it actually says the're 370 N (althought they're sold as 350 N). Got a pair including and a pair of M8+M6 ball bolts from local car parts dealer for 25 €. They fit perfectly, installation is very easy and didn't took more then 15 min. I colored the ball bolts to black for more OEM'ish look.. See attached pictures and video in action.

2016-09-02-201345.jpg2016-09-02-201410.jpg

2016-09-02-201436.jpg2016-09-02-201454.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

What size Torx bit is it for the bolt on the bonnet (Hood) hinge? I need to buy a torx bit set.

It's not a Torx, it's a double star bit - kind of like two Torx's interleaved together.

When I needed one to fit the Superskoda bonnet dampers I found that my local Halfords will only sell a complete set of multiple sizes, and I can't remember which size it was - sorry.

Edited by PetrolDave

What size Torx bit is it for the bolt on the bonnet (Hood) hinge? I need to buy a torx bit set.

Thanks.

This is what you need 

The bolts at the back of the bonnet at the top of the hinge are definitely not Torx but are 12 spine 10mm type like this - http://www.ebay.co.u...g-/110640243135

An excellent Wiki guide to screw drive types is at  https://en.wikipedia...of_screw_drives

Edited by bertJ
  • Thanks 1

Just be careful, they are not Spline (60 degree angle) they are triple-square or ZKN (90 degree angle)

Been discussed here already

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/401169-12-point-spline-bits/?hl=%2Btriple+%2Bsquare#entry4633874

There are a lot of things that will 'fit' if you are careful you may get away with it. if not you will strip out the inside and need a big pair of mole-grips

Thanks for replies folks, Double star, triple square? whatever happened to a good old hexagon bolt? Are all the bolts on Škoda's of this type?

The small ones are mostly Torx but the larger ones are of this type (because of the higher torque they can handle without damage).

• Like 1

The small ones are mostly Torx but the larger ones are of this type (because of the higher torque they can handle without damage).

Hi, I am very interested in fitting this mod to the hood on my Octavia (MY16) - the standard support stay is a bit low rent isn't it? Can anyone advise on the best kit for this - or is it better to source the parts separately from BMW / VAG as a few posters mentioned earlier in this subject? Do the lower mountings for the gas strut require additional reinforcement plates in the wings? I would assume that the upper mounts (on the hinge plates) are already strong enough.

Warrior193

Well my dampers arrived from, dare I mention it, Superškoda, fitted in about 10 minutes all in, but had to source some M6 & M8 washers as non provided. They hold the bonnet up ok but they don't lift it of own accord from down, a little helping hand needed. M8 ball screws are a little shallow on the hexagon as florino mentioned, but manged to tighten ok with ring spanner. All in all quite happy but a few little niggles re Washers. I would have put a photo on but not mastered that art yet.

Edited by stanian

Other than not including the washers, pretty good kit.

When I recently swapped mine over from my old 2014 to 2016 Octavia, I noticed some surface corrosion on a couple of the ball screws, which Superskoda sent me a couple F.O.C. with some mudflaps I'd ordered.

• Like 1

Other than not including the washers, pretty good kit.

When I recently swapped mine over from my old 2014 to 2016 Octavia, I noticed some surface corrosion on a couple of the ball screws, which Superskoda sent me a couple F.O.C. with some mudflaps I'd ordered.

Hmmmmm, gonna rub mine with a layer of petrolium jelly then. Thanks for that.

• Like 1

This is what you need 

The bolts at the back of the bonnet at the top of the hinge are definitely not Torx but are 12 spine 10mm type like this - http://www.ebay.co.u...g-/110640243135

An excellent Wiki guide to screw drive types is at  https://en.wikipedia...of_screw_drives

This is what I decided to buy and it did the job OK, maybe the spline fits reasonably in the triple square but not vice versa as mentioned by Wino in another post.

Hmmmmm, gonna rub mine with a layer of petrolium jelly then. Thanks for that.

Or just color protect them as I did mine (pics few post earlier), also it gives more of an OEM'ish look...

Edited by milanj

• 2 weeks later...

I had this modification on my 2008 Octy vRS and really wanted to get it for my 2014 Octy vRS. So I've just gone and ordered the following from Onlinecarparts.co.uk, so hopefully everything will turn up and be just as required:

FEBI BILSTEIN, M6 Ball Socket x2, №: 04006

FEBI BILSTEIN, M8 Ball Socket x2, №: 04260

FEBI BILSTEIN, Gas Spring x2, №: 27709 - This is for the IBIZA II

Those that have fitted their's, does the M6 go on the bonnet or the wing?

Cheers

Edited by benjamino