All Activity
- Past hour
-
New car
The person concerned was a supervisor at a very large airport. His department was outsourced and then reorganised; he was then made redundant. He struggled financially for a few years and a good friend of his paid off his bank overdraft when the bank was harassing him (it wasn't a huge amount but the bank was being nasty). It was the same friend who heard that a courier company was recruiting drivers for a new contract delivering confidential documents; these had to be collected from locations all over the UK and delivered to other locations all over the UK. As he was in his late fifties and couldn't get another job, and after the previous few years of impoverishment, he leapt at the chance of the job. He dealt with the driving by smoking cigarettes until he had an M.I. on the M4 in south Wales and was taken to hospital there. After that he continued working until his pension from his 'old' job paid out. He did repay the friend who had paid off his overdraft. In his retirement, he worked for a chap who had a small garage; customers left their keys at the reception of their workplace and he collected and returned their cars; it was the chap's USP and his garage was always busy. He was a tough character and wouldn't be best pleased to be described as "BS"er! BTW, I agree that average hourly mileage on a cross-country journey using mainly motorways is about 50 miles on a good weekday. PS Having written the above, I hope that the truth of the "700 mpd" is is now accepted. PPS The courier company's cars were all Skoda diesels and the mileages that they were run up to were enormous.
- My car's in a bad way
-
VW group recalls ~4M vehicles for steering bolt which can corrode - any Skoda news yet?
VW Group including Skoda sometimes get away in the UK with telling the DfT / DVSA that there is no need for a SAFETY CRITICAL RECALL because they will do a Voluntary Service Campaign / Recall Action and get registered keepers contact details from the DVLA. These have been known to mean nothing. The ones that look like they might get priority dues to the years covered and earliest are the VW Caddy.
-
- New car
-
Stonekeeper started following Tow car of the year
- Tow car of the year
-
New car
1) It was not "BS". I knew the person and the daily driving that he was doing with classified documents. It was a huge mileage. 2) Please don't use expressions similar to "sounds like BS" on BRISKODA's forums. 3) Don't cast doubts on the accuracy of my postings by using expressions similar to "sounds like BS" when replying to my postings.
- Today
- Mib3 Map Updates 2026.06
-
Tell started following Mib3 Map Updates 2026.06
-
VW group recalls ~4M vehicles for steering bolt which can corrode - any Skoda news yet?
I found - with the typical poorly designed workflow runarounds - the Spanish motor vehicle division's search page for recalls. As of now, it shows no recall for my car. Yo dije que cualquier lado donde yo asiento es el correcto, no dije que me assiente en cualquier lugar ... :what, there's no :GrouchMarx face emoji in this web board system??
-
Car Shudders Various Lights Come On Goes Into Limp Mode
Yes I think you’re right but worth a check!
- My 2021 RS in final form
-
Car Shudders Various Lights Come On Goes Into Limp Mode
Hi Binx, it's only about 3 years old, purchased from Tayna. I think the shudder is what's the causing the lights to appear.I will suggest to the garage when it goes in to check the battery. Thanks
-
Car Shudders Various Lights Come On Goes Into Limp Mode
Not sure on the shudder but that collection of lights usually means a communication issue between control modules, which is commonly caused by low battery voltage. How new is the battery?
-
Binx1310 started following Car Shudders Various Lights Come On Goes Into Limp Mode
- New car
-
Evolution13 started following New car
-
Superb Mk3 3V3 Liftback – power tailgate won't open/close – VCDS diagnosis
I believe I have seen someone on another post on here someone state that the lock has some relatively poor quality internal switches which detect the state. I would think swapping out the latch mechanism is probably the solution. I have a copy of the workshop manuals I can share if you need the instructions.
-
-
My car's in a bad way
Thanks Gaz. Appreciated. No boroscope but I think pretty sound reasoning, sadly. That said, I'd be delighted to be wrong so I'll lay it all out here. (And if someone wants to buy it as-is, I want to do it honestly and not screw the next guy over.) The car felt fine but kept going into limp home mode on longer journeys with rev restriction to 4000rpm. I took it to my regular independent who's looked after me over the years, had it traced to oil pressure switch 3, had a coolant regulator valve fixed. It kept happening and my usual garage couldn't find a cause. I noticed the engine oil temperature would reach 110C and the warning would be triggered. I took it to a local independent specialist who serviced it, noticed: "Fault found with oil pressure switch 3, p168d00, checked tpi's and none applicable. Carried thorough test plan and unable to fault and states system has no defect. Removed oil filter housing and found debris within filter. Advise oil and filter change and oil set at correct level and advise customer to monitor as fault is only sporadic". They estimated £390+VAT to pull the engine apart to find more of a cause so I took it to a 3rd garage, another independent specialist: "Checked fault codes found code P000A camshaft position sensor A component sluggish. This code together with the history of swarf in the oil and P168D oil pressure switch code is a sure sign that the oil pressure to the camshaft adjusters is dropping. As this is happening when the engine is at operating temperature I would suspect that components inside the engine are worn to a point where oil is leaking past excessively once the oil thins at temperature. This will be causing the oil pressure to drop and the code to log. It will also have a snowball effect as more wear happens the oil contains more swarm that causes more wear. The only reasonable solution at this point is a complete engine replacement or engine rebuild. Including a new oil pump, oil cooler and turbocharger oil feed and return lines." So it's pretty damning. Oddly, if it weren't for the restriction on max revs I wouldn't know- it isn't rattling and feels like it drives fine. There aren't any warning lights in between, only after it gets up to higher temps and the warnings go away when it's cooled down again.
- New car
-
lbm2211 started following Skoda Octavia Mk2 (2004 - 2013)
-
Upgrade gearbox from 5 speed to 6 speed
I did 5 to 6 speed gearbox swap for my 2002 Mk1 Octavia TDI after a couple years ownership from new. Aside from the gearbox including gear selector on top, reverse switch and speed sensor, you will need matching gearbox mount and its console, dogbone mount, driveshafts, flywheel and clutch including slave cylinder and related piping, and a whole lot of new bolts as a lot are stretch bolts. Ironically, the gear lever and linkage fitted both old 5-spd and new 6-spd, so I did not bother replacing the gearstick nor linkage and had a "secret" 6th gear for the life of the car, ie still 5 gears+ reverse printed on the gearstick yet the 6th could be selected. Aside from this, the airco piping is usually different between 5 and 6 speed gearboxes, but I was able to get round this by fabricating an additional mount (just a small piece of steel bar with a couple holes). Speed sensor needed adaptation somewhere using VCDS, but the difference was not massive. In summary, it was quite a bit of hassle getting all the parts and then a half day of work. For me, the reduced revs on motorway were worth it though, both for comfort and for fuel bill. At least at autobahn speeds of 100mph+ I estimated that the saved fuel has more than paid for the outlay on gearbox swap over the 80k or so autobahn miles. Note at UK motorway speeds the fuel saving would likely be minimal, and at current diesel prices at least it makes financial sense to go slow anyway. Also note that this was 22 years ago, and since then Adblue injection and engine cooling layout changes went in, so there may be other parts that interfere and may need replacement. HTH
-
lbm2211 joined the community
- Activating SmartLink on Swing 3
-
Changing Cars
Emergency - Esc fault on the dash, saying take car to workshop. Map detail disappearing leavimg just the car icon on a blank screen. message saying smart road sign not functioning or something like that, it didn't stay on long enough to see it all. Booming/Echoing in the cabin. When driving I felt I was fighting the car.
-
barn find felicia pickup.
Got the rest of the axle painted roughly in hammerite black. It still needs more time to set up, but in the meantime I squitted this out of my tiny cricut as a stencil for the yellow paint I got. It's sticky backed stuff, so i should be able to slap it on the axle, mash around it and go to town for a few coats of yellow. Hopefully that will produce sharp enough text to be readable after 50,000 miles. After it's coloured in, I'll shove some top clear coat over it to try and protect it a bit.
-
VW group recalls ~4M vehicles for steering bolt which can corrode - any Skoda news yet?
I wouldn’t be so sure - there’s a reason we call them “Stealers” over here! By the sounds of it, it’s not a faulty fastener, per se, but one that hasn’t had the correct treatment. I think if it was a serious issue, they would be a bit more proactive. Over here, we can check the UK Government website for our MOT (your ITV test) and check for any recalls on our vehicles - maybe you have something similar? Eso incluye sentarse junto a un tornillo oxidado? ;)
- Activating SmartLink on Swing 3
-
ovidex started following Activating SmartLink on Swing 3
-
Repeated daily Infotainment update issues
Sorry, all went automatically for me. 🤷♂️
-
ovidex joined the community
-
Engine mount play
There’s no oil around it, but my previous car—a Renault Megane—had a mount like that too; it was soft and wobbly, whereas it had been firm when new. The Škoda is 7 years old and has 100,000 km on it.
-
Car Shudders Various Lights Come On Goes Into Limp Mode
Afternoon all, My 2016 Superb started a slight shudder when driving normally and has subsequently got worse. Now when it shudders various dash lights come on, systems say not functions, ACC, Park Assist, Tyre Pressure Warning etc and the car goes into limp mode. Had to pull over, with the car off and then back on to clear the issue. Was infrequent but became regular. Went to my local VAG specialist who checked the fault codes and said the code related to wires down the side of the engine may be causing a short, which he checked and confirmed was ok. Had a really noisy grumbling mass clutch flywheel, has done 128K, garage said could be the speed sensor on the clutch assembly causing issues, so suggested a new clutch pack. New clutch pack fitted this week, but fault remains. Sat idling this week, engine switched off, then back on, did this twice. Car shudder and lights on twice today, cleared by swiping off and on. Suspect a return visit to the garage, but think they may be struggling. Anyone experienced this before, any ideas or suggestions on what may be the cause would be welcomed. Many thanks in advance Tony