All Activity
- Past hour
-
Two goes at pulling away !
For some time now, almost everytime I pull away (backwards or forwards) it leaps, pauses and then pulls away as expected. I've asked the question of various persons in the know but failed to get a fix. Two weeks ago, I had the front brake pads replaced. They were getting "grabby" and were well worn down. Almost immediately I noticed that pullimg away was much smoother. The second go at pulling away trick has now gone. I can only think that the front pads were intermittently binding up on the disc and letting go at the second push. Hopefully, this will help someone else with the same or similar issue.
-
Sven57 started following Two goes at pulling away !
-
AUTODOC, eBay, Amazon, or any specialty stores where do you usually have fewer issues finding the right fit?
When it comes to selecting parts - it’s check, check and check again. Do not rely on the make and model selection on the website. Autodoc presented brake disc sizes for all models even though they confirmed my model. Progressive Parts (and others) list my engine as CJXA/DNFE when they’re the EA888 Gen3 and Gen4 with differences. The Superpro Lower arms TRC1070 are advertised as applicable to basically every car made by VAG, yet they’re only applicable for Golf/Octavia. Because the Superb has a much wider track, as does the Audi RS3 which is suggested too. Turns out the MQB chassis which is the MQB chassis is not the MQB chassis. It’s MQB-A0 (Fabia) MQB-A1 (Golf/Ovtavia) MQB-A2 (Q2, Ateca, Tiguan) and MQB-B (Superb, Passat). Nuances like that really make a difference.
-
Fitting twin horns
I 've fitted twin horns on other cars in the past by just removing the single and connecting the new hi-lo pair to the original wire. I was young then. Now I'm more cautious, whats the practical thoughts on doing this on an Octavia Mk2? If I use 2.5mm2 wire I don't envisage a problem, but if I ask questions the recommendation is to fit another relay and add a fused power wire from the battery. That makes it a tedious job. Does any of the Mk2s have twin horns, and what size wire was used?
-
-
Mk2 Octavia underside maintenance
As has been suggested, take the arch liners off. Though the fronts will have some crud behind, these are not normally as bad as the rears. The offside being worse than nearside. So start with the rear offside. The wheel has to come off of course, then find all the screws They will be Torx 25. A 2mm or 2.5mm drill bit is useful to clear the muck out of the heads, then the bit doesn't slip. You may have to brush away mud from the liner to find all of the screws. Once they're off, the most likely rust spot is at the sill. A hand wire brush and a screwdriver will find the loose bits, but carry on tapping if it looks soft, and you may make holes. There is no magic fix, it has to be welded, no amount of zinc will fix it. If it's ok, I use Fertan or any other rust converter will do. Though Fertan will creep and convert surface rust if you cover it with plastic film for 24 hours. This stabilises the rust, then I use Bilt Hamber Dynax underspray. It is less marketed than other more well known brands, and recommended by restorers. There are youtube videos, lookup "mobilerustdoctor". I've just done all mine, found some holes which are getting fixed next week, and to do it throughly took 1/2 day each for the rears. See pic of offside.
-
hat-trick-lion-mane joined the community
- AUTODOC, eBay, Amazon, or any specialty stores where do you usually have fewer issues finding the right fit?
- Today
-
Auto Start-Stop not functioning
One thing I learnt recently is to not let the battery get too low as it can cause issues, primarily with the airbag module. I had a period of use that involved lots of short trips which let the SOC drop, next thing there was an airbag warning. Turns out that the low battery caused a fault with the module and it needed to be replaced as it was essentially bricked, I know in some countries there are places that can restore the modules but I'm not sure if we have any in new Zealand. My car was only a few months out of warranty and the dealer wanted to charge circa $2000 for the new module, when I made them aware that this was a known issue on MQB platform cars and that I thought they should go to Skoda for a goodwill warranty they coughed and spluttered a bit but agreed to talk to Skoda who thankfully came to the party. It seems in this market at least, Skoda ship the vehicles with the cheaper and less efficient EFB style of battery when they really should have AGM batteries. I'm still on the original battery but will definitely upgrade to an AGM when this one starts to go downhill, it still tests OK but at over 5 years I'm guessing it doesn't have too much life left in it. Like @Warrior193 I now put the car on a battery tender occasionally or if it's not being used for some time. So far, so good and FWIW I don't use ASS, it gets turned off as a matter of course before every drive.
-
CS363 started following Auto Start-Stop not functioning
- Issues with Mk 4 1.5 TSI
-
Amazed Skoda has become so BAD..
I’ve never heard anyone comment on the DSG changing gear at high revs usually the comment is it changes too soon and they use Sport mode to hold on to lower gears for longer. I don’t suppose you are in Sport rather than Drive?
-
-
Big thanks to my agent, not.
The Service Plan is with VWFS they pay whichever Skoda dealer does the service - its not linked to one specific dealer.
-
Amazed Skoda has become so BAD..
I took delivery of a ex demo SE l Edition DSG 1.5 tsi on Monday. Traded in my 2018 Suberb for it. Must admit having second thoughts now
-
BillyParker started following Amazed Skoda has become so BAD..
-
Coilovers
Evening guys, just thought I'd put a few pics of my octy on his coilovers (prosport) just incase anyone was thinking of lowering there's, is a bit bouncy now but is still comfortable enough
-
-
Power steering light illuminted on dash, it comes and goes
Glad you found the problem. Weird how an ABS/speed sensor can affect steering. I take it it pinged up on vcds. I've managed so far with a cheap copy scanner for just fault codes/resetting but reckon as my cars getting a bit older will finally have to invest. Alasdair
-
1.9 diesel fuel pump not working advice needed.
Evening all, So I had a play this evening until my battery went flat. I put 12v to what I believed to be the stop valve as pictured previously and nothing happened. So I removed the fuel lines followed by the solenoid and what I removed is pictured below. On the bench I again put 12v to it and initially it didn’t want to move but after a couple of flicks of the battery + it was clicking away happily. I then put it back into the pump and wired it in but when I turned the key again nothing happened (no clicking). I checked what voltage it was receiving from the ignition and it’s only 7.3v but by taking a feed direct from the battery it would click. Finally I tried to bleed the pump but nothing came out of the fuel pipes whatsoever. Is what I removed the fuel cut off solenoid or something else? What’s. Does the VW pick up have a immobiliser like the Felicia? Regards Rob
-
Big thanks to my agent, not.
My car is 5 years old on 29th October. As I am away for a week in the middle of Octobr, I booked an MOT with my local agent (who supplied the car) I booked an MOT for 20th October. On 24th September, whilst in France, I received an email from them saying that, as of 30th September (7 days after the email) the company would no longer be a Skoda agent, and all business would be transferred to the local VW agent. They would be in touch with anyone with servicing due after 30th September, but, no surprise, nobody has as yey been in touch with me. I tried to book an MOT with another fairly local Skoda agent, but they didn't appear to have any appointments until 12th November. I have now managed to book an appointment with the VW agent only 2 days after my original appointment. So rather annoying, but no real harm to me. However, those with servicing and/or repairs may have significant problems. I had a service plan, but luckily I used the remaining plan on a service and inspection, but what happens if your plan gives you 2 services and you only use one?
-
Routemaster1461 started following Big thanks to my agent, not.
-
CarlinKit Wireless carplay connected to USB in armrest Superb 3, controls fail when returning to the car after a short while
Not connected to the 20 minute time out cycle of the infotainment units by any chance. Try 18 minutes and 22 minutes. The infotainment units will power down after 20 minutes. Its a Vag thing. Let's you use the unit to listen to stuff but if no physical contact to change anything will power down. Test it with the door open obviously not a solution, but if it behaves itself its that 20 minute cycle.
-
-
SwedeOfEnbound joined the community
-
Facelift steering wheel
As far as I remember it's plug&play. You can add MSFW with paddle shift but it requires coding and MAY require change of steering wheel controller. Pre-lift airbag will NOT fit, it must be replaced too, as well as the harness located inside the steering wheel.
-
Auto Start-Stop not functioning
SOC stands for State of Charge. Also, If ASS is not available when it should be then the symbol will still display but with a line through it.
-
2 Cylinder Mode…..
Ours displays in normal mode, that's a 1.5 DSG. Don't set it to any other mode except sport by tapping lever backwards.
-
11111 1111.1 The Show Us Your Odo Thread! (now 12345 678.9) + Brisky Tree odo fun
Parked up at the supermarket this afternoon... ... which means I've averaged ~15,000 miles/year for each of the last five years 😳
-
Facelift steering wheel
I've browsed through previous posts regarding this, but can't seem to see if the facelift steering wheel is just a plug and play replacement into the pre facelift. Ideally I'd like to add paddle shift but I think that's only on MQB platform cars? Seen a few cheap facelift steering wheels on eBay but usually don't come with airbag. Will my pre facelift airbag fit? Cheers
-
Suspension upgrade installed
Sorry that this becoming a bit OT on a pad thing - thought Blue were meant to be for harder usage than Yellow. Good to know the feedback and agree the colour mix is triggering - unless you get some aero hubcaps 🤯🤢
-
Weird sound on new Octavia 1.5 TSI mHEV
I also think that it has something to do with the regenerative braking system, but i am unsure what it is. I bought an used brake booster for the NX an teared it down to learn how it works.. But as i see there is nowhere a relay which can cause a click...
-
2 Cylinder Mode…..
On my 25 with Columbus, it only displays in Eco mode.
-
the truth about electric cars
Refined oil is really all that matters to customers of liquid fuels. Crude can be transported as and when. If sanctions on Russian Diesel and the USA having to really hold on to what they have for the home market then there is enough being refined or there is not. Or there are those that get oil and can refine but are choosing not to and controlling the market. What ever Donald Trump tries to do will hit some some places. Maybe make some of his even wealthier.
-
dashman joined the community
- 38 mph in 5th gear ?